Dorje Internet Services Home Page
Finally, many thanks to Mike Bate for making the great Dorje Internet Services
- What is Dorje Internet Services?
- It is my personal collection of Sun workstations and linux servers
connected to the Internet via a 7x24 802.11b wireless link from a local
- No, what is "Dorje Internet Services"?
- Oh, you mean the name? Its really just a fancy title I came up with
to sound like I have a legitimate reason to be on the Internet. If
someone really wants to pay me to do some Internet consulting I'm game
but DIS doesn't exist as a real company so its not a professional thing.
- Okay, then what's a "dorje"?
- According to The Encyclopedia of Eastern Philosophy and Religion,
a dorje is: Tib., lib. "lord of stones." Originally, as lightening
or thunderbolt (vajra), the weapon attributed to the Hindu god Indra,
the source of the name of Tantric Buddhism. In this context it was
interpreted as indestructible diamond. The dorje is the symbol of the
clear immutable essence of reality that is the basis of everything.
Additionally, the term dorje is the name of an instrument used by Tibetan
monks to aid meditation. The icon at the top of this page is a dorje in
its instrument incarnation.
- What's on dorje.com?
- Not much, really. I run some noncommercial motorcycle related
mailing lists on dorje.com, a
motorcycle blog and a
World Superbike racing podcast
but that's about it. This web server is mainly in place as a vehicle to
publish the list archives.
However, I've also got a collection of
jokes and computer folklore I've
collected during my years on the net. I'm sure more things will be added
to this web server as time permits.
- Well, who's on dorje.com?
- Originally, I assumed this would just be my home machine and thus I'd
be the only user. However, like all things, it has already grown beyond that
as I've started giving out guest accounts to some of my
Alan Fleming firstname.lastname@example.org