Subject: Re: YKYBHTLW...

From: [email-masked] (Eric P. Husen)
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 18:33:00 GMT

YKYBHTLW...

You start balancing your checkbook in hexadecimal.  I unintentionally did this one day after far too many hours debugging assembly level code.

---

From: [email-masked] (Greg "Torgo" Anderson)
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 06:15:23 GMT

I recently spent 16 straight hours of SGI GL-based graphics
programming, writing a horrendously slow (first try) ray-tracer, and by
the time I got back home, it was an hour b4 I would be getting up.  So I
decided to forgo that silly sleep thing, and head out to class.  Foolish
person I am, with 3 classes from 8 to 12:30.  I was of course dozing off
thru all of them.  Every time I nodded off, images of vectors flying down
to stab me, and huge spheres and cones bouncing around.  This continued
thru all my classes, and filled most of my dreams during my nap between
lunch & dinner.  Too much ray tracing hurts the noggin.

   Greg
-- 
[email-masked]   GCS d@ H- S+: g-(+) p1 au+ a- w+ v-(+) C++
PGP 2.6 Public key         US?+>++ P+ L 3 E N++ K W--- M+>++ V-- -po+
available via finger.      Y+ t+ 5- j- R G' tv+ b+ D B--- e+ u+(-)
                           f(+) r*() n-(--) y+(*)
              ======http://monopoly.cs.umn.edu/~torgo======

---

From: Robert Billing <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 May 1995 08:11:42 +0100

YKYBHTLW....

1) You find that they've printed the the plot of this week's Next
Generation in Radio Times and you say "Why didn't they rot13 this?"

2) Linda Snell & John Archer are trying to remember what was engraved
on the cricket trophy and you start looking through the backup tapes.

3) The demon internet time server puts your PC clock right & you don't
know why your watch is still wrong.

4) You put a tape in the VHS machine and try to type 
"mount mub1:/foreign" on the little keyboard.

#ifndef British
Radio Times is a listings magazine, published by the BBC, LS & JA
are characters in a *very* long running radio serial, JA has lost the
village cricket trophy and is trying to have a duplicate made, but
can't remember what was engraved on it, demon are a UK dialup internet
service provider. Mount mub1:, see any VMS manual.
#endif

#if Paranoia
Does anyone read my postings, or have I got into all 15 million kill
files in my first month on the 'net? C:-) <= Smile+crash helmet.
#endif

-- 
Tanglewood (tnglwood.demon.co.uk) is a bungalow in southern England,
close to 0 deg 46 min W 51 deg 22 min N. I am Robert Billing, Christian,
inventor, traveller, cook and animal lover.
"If you can see beauty in the world, then you are reading God's .sig"

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen Cass)
Date: 26 May 1995 18:50:17 +0100

[email-masked] (David Thomas Richard Given) writes:

>You think that's bad? When the lab discovered xblast (great game; can't 
>wait for the XPM version), we played it solid for hours. I was running 
>around dropping bombs all over the place all night.

A friend and myself would play Doom against each other in the local
student publications office. After six - seven hours when it would be
time to get the last bus, we would catch ourselves trying to walk through
doors by aiming in the general direction and then being surprised when
we didn't just slide along the wall towards the door. And you wonder
why everything isn't gently rolling up and down...

Steve

---

From: [email-masked] (a.j.cribbin)
Date: 1 Jun 1995 11:34:53 GMT

: In article <[email-masked]>,
: Stephen Cass <[email-masked]> wrote:
: >A friend and myself would play Doom against each other in the local
: >student publications office. After six - seven hours when it would be
: >time to get the last bus, we would catch ourselves trying to walk through
: >doors by aiming in the general direction and then being surprised when
: >we didn't just slide along the wall towards the door. And you wonder
: >why everything isn't gently rolling up and down...

I couldn't get used to opening doors after playing Doom.
Every time I came to a door I'd have an urge to reach for the
"space bar".
When I first got a Gameboy I played Tetris for hours at a time.
For weeks I dreamed about playing tetris, and whenever I was relaxing
behind my eyes I could see the tetris blocks floating down and locking
into position.

Andrew J. Cribbin

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Peter Sayler)
Date: 2 Jun 1995 03:18:45 GMT

Victor Eijkhout ([email-masked]) wrote:
> In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (a.j.cribbin) writes:

> Games like pong also do that to you. Lessee, it bounces off this wall,
> then this desk, that partition, and so on.

	Yeah.  I remember riding from Denton (near Dallas) Texas to Nashville
and playing Windoze Solitare on a Grid 386-25 notebook.  I still maintain
that pen is the only way to play that game.  Well, after playing this for 
a few hours, when I finally arrived at my destination to help with some
video work (telepromter!) I noticed that I started to mentally stack people
up light-hair, dark-hair, light-hair, dark-hair.  ARGH!  I just wanted to
cry. 

Cheers.
			M@
--
-- Matt Sayler -- Univ. North Texas, Denton, Texas, USA ----  . _ _   ,--.
-- TAMS: "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" ---   | | | | .-|
-- email: [email-masked], [email-masked] ---   | | | | |_|
-- http://tcet.unt.edu/~saylor/www - voice: (817)369-6420 --         `-__.`

Try to be the best of whatever you are, even if what you are is no
good.

---

From: [email-masked] (Stewart Stremler)
Date: 2 Jun 1995 08:24:44 GMT

[snip]
> then this desk, that partition, and so on.

Rogue. Wake up in the AM, lessee, when this paralysis wears off, it's
diagonal, diagonal, over, and I'm safe in the doorway [to the bathroom]...

Scared myself to death one morning when the paralysis _didn't_ wear off.
I was wrapped too tight in the blanket, and couldn't move. 
--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Stewart Stremler                                   [email-masked]
Barney the Dinosaur sings! You faint... Barney sings!  Barney sings! --More--
You Die... --More--