Subject: Re: You know you've been hacking too long...

From: [email-masked] (Mike Crawford)
Date: 1 Jul 1995 17:00:04 GMT

Early in my freshman year I stayed up all night doing Calculus.  In the
morning, I leaned against a wall in the kitchen watching my friend prepare
some cheerios.  As I did so, space aliens intersected my body with an 
infinitesimally thin planar beam, then scanned it accross my body adding up
all the areas.  I snapped awake with a feeling of profound embarrassment that
they had measured my volume precisely.

Several years later, I lay in bed asleep and had a dream in which I wished
to drive my car onto the highway onramp to go home from my programming job,
but I was frustrated because I could not find the right scanf() format string
to read my car into the highway.

In between, I bought my first car.  A few days later I stayed up all night
programming.  I got paid in the morning, and spent much of the day blowing
my paycheck.  Then I decided to drive to my parent's house to show them my
car.  (This was in Fairfield, ordinarily a two-hour drive from Santa Cruz).
I woke abruptly going 30 miles an hour in an intersection on University
Avenue in Berkeley without any memory as to how I got there - this was real,
not a dream.  A while later, after night fell, each of the headlights in
the oncoming traffic formed a little raster-scanned IBM PC character, like they
had on the original DOS mono monitors.  The whole of the oncoming traffic
spelled out things like "Look out!  You're going to crash!".

-- 
Mike Crawford           
[email-masked]     <-- note change of address.
[email-masked] <-- Finger Me here for PGP Public Key

---

From: "Bill Cornutt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 1995 01:10:02 -0800

----------

After a long session of debugging a program, I went into another
room.  I fliped the light switch on and was surprised when the 
room lit up without me trouble shouting the switch.

   ---------
   Bill Cornutt
   [email-masked]
   Located in Ione California USA.
   A small town in Northern California.
   Sitting against the foothills of the Mother Load.
   ----------------------------------------------------

      "Kooky Kooky, lend me your comb."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Jul 1995 00:15:58 GMT

.. when you ask someone in the lab a question to solve a problem in your 
code, get their answer, and start to move you mouse to highlight-copy
what they said for pasting into your editor...  true story

Dan Stephenson
[email-masked]
"To conquer death, you only have to die." - JC

---

From: kyle cassidy <[email-masked]>
Date: 4 Jul 1995 05:37:00 GMT

last week i went to visit my mother -- we were standing in the kitchen 
and she said "kyle, click on the light"....

it took me a good 5 seconds to figure out how to do it.

---

From: [email-masked] (Old Man Kensey)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 22:45:04 GMT

At work, we paste price labels for intangible "items" (labor,
shipping) on the register's monitor.  Today I was thinking,
"Gee, we rarely use shipping, let's move it to the bottom, and
put labor at eye level on the right, where it's easily spotted."

After thinking which, I reached for the mouse...
-- 
Joe Thompson, Programmer/Analyst | GraphFunction 3.5... | Proud owner of a
of HyperCard, C++, BASIC, Pascal | (C) October 12, 1993 | Micro$quish-free
CLAS II, Astronomy-Physics major | [email-masked]. | Macintosh 5200CD
University of Virginia, c/o 1998 | http://darwin.clas.virginia.edu/~jgt7c/

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Cannon)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 16:10:16 GMT

Not hacking, but I used to find myself playing Tetris in my
  head for quite awhile after a long session of it on the ocmputer.
  (Maybe it really was a communist plot!)
-- 
--
=================
[email-masked]