From: [email-masked] (Vadim Antonov)
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 21:22:41 +0300 (MSD)

============================end quote===========================

From: [email-masked] (Vadim Antonov)
Newsgroups: alt.folklore.computers
Subject: Re: kremvax

A bit of trivia:

>Phone: +7 095 840401

Phew. *Everybody* who ever was in SU knows that the phone numbers
there are exactly in the same format as in US (i.e. local calls
require 7 digits in large cities, 3 digits for the exchange number,
4 for trunk number; long-distance prefix is 8 (not 1 as in US) so
tehre are no local numbers starting from 8!

Dugh Jones writes:
>Here, for your amusement, is the first piece of E-mail I've saved that
>really came from kremvax.  Of course, the mail came in 1991, and the
>real kremvax (a Vax located near the Kremlin, not in it) was named after
>the fictional one.
>
>===========================begin quote==========================
>From @herky.cs.uiowa.edu,@fuug.fi:demos!hq.demos.su!avg Sat Jun  1 13:43:51 1991
>Received: from herky.cs.uiowa.edu by pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu (5.59/890218)
>          on Sat, 1 Jun 91 13:43:48 CDT id AA13387
>Received: from fuug.fi by herky.cs.uiowa.edu (AIX 3.1/UCB 5.61/4.03)
>          id AA38636; Sat, 1 Jun 91 13:47:15 -0500
>Received: by fuug.fi id AA09624
>  (5.65+/IDA-1.3.5 for [email-masked]); Sat, 1 Jun 91 21:45:16 +0300
>Received: by kremvax.hq.demos.su; Sat, 1 Jun 91 21:22:44 +0300
>To: [email-masked]
>Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
>Organization: DEMOS, Moscow, USSR
>From: [email-masked] (Vadim Antonov)
>Date: Sat,  1 Jun 91 21:22:41 +0300 (MSD)
>============================end quote===========================

The kremvax.hq.demos.su was first turned on in DEMOS (it worked
for some years in Kurchatov Institute of Atomic Energy (known
in Stalin times as "Laboratory N2" -- the place where the Soviet
atomic bomb was designed)) on April the 1st, 91. No wonder it was
called "kremvax". Its pair machine, "moscvax" was installed later.
Both are still in operation (although the lion part of e-mail
traffic is handled by the Sequent in KIAE) and connected to Internet
(sometimes; the link is still not permanent, it should change RSN):

rodan% host kremvax.hq.demos.su
Added trailing . to kremvax.hq.demos.su.
kremvax.hq.demos.su has address 192.91.186.136
kremvax.hq.demos.su has address 192.91.186.8
kremvax.hq.demos.su mail is handled by kremvax.hq.demos.su
kremvax.hq.demos.su mail is handled by moscvax.hq.demos.su
kremvax.hq.demos.su mail is handled by relay1.uu.net
kremvax.hq.demos.su mail is handled by relay2.uu.net
rodan% host moscvax.hq.demos.su
Added trailing . to moscvax.hq.demos.su.
moscvax.hq.demos.su has address 192.91.186.148
moscvax.hq.demos.su mail is handled by moscvax.hq.demos.su
moscvax.hq.demos.su mail is handled by kremvax.hq.demos.su
moscvax.hq.demos.su mail is handled by relay1.uu.net
moscvax.hq.demos.su mail is handled by relay2.uu.net
rodan% 

--vadim